At Qualia, we've built a new class of real estate technology that simplifies home buying and selling into an easy, understandable, and secure process. Our products bring together users from across the real estate ecosystem---homebuyers and sellers, lenders, title and escrow agents, and real estate agents---onto a single shared platform, providing greater clarity and transparency to real estate transactions. Today, millions of consumers use Qualia to close on homes every year.
We are looking for a seasoned engineering leader to build and grow the Qualia Security team. The Security team is responsible for application threat modeling, design and oversight of secure development practices, development of tooling for exploit prevention and intrusion detection, and educating the engineering organization on security best practices.
Security engineers need to have broad and deep technical knowledge. Security cannot be reduced down to a static bag of tricks. It requires sophisticated knowledge of how all software works and mature mental models of how to reason about the security of complex systems. Security engineers already possess the knowledge and mental models necessary to be successful in their role and are constantly working to improve them.
Your Day to Day / Things You May Work On
- Proactively and iteratively identify possible risks and threats
- Architect secure-by-default frameworks and infrastructure, ensuring the easy path is also the secure path
- Influence and align the organization's vision and strategy, while engaging your team to develop and deliver specific, multi-quarter roadmaps, programs, and projects
- Help shape the security roadmap at both a strategic and tactical level
- Identify security flaws in products, features and processes through design reviews, code reviews, active penetration testing, and the establishment of practical security baselines
- Develop tools to prevent, detect, investigate, and respond to security threats
- Educate the engineering organization on security best practices by providing training and acting as a subject matter expert and mentor
The Experience We Are Looking For
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or in a relevant field of study (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Broad knowledge across the Security domain
- Development experience in Node.js, C#, Ruby, and/or Go
- Hands-on working experience with
- Penetration testing tools (e.g. Burp Suite, Nessus, Metasploit, or similar)
- DevOps (e.g. Kubernetes, AWS, Docker, monitoring tools, networking, git, etc.)
- A talent for communicating complex ideas in an easily-understandable way
- A plus for having a background in intrusion detection, security investigations and incident response
- Our flat company structure empowers engineers to make product decisions
- We have a collaborative culture where engineers mentor each other
- Our team members take time to eat together and share conversation at our daily catered lunches
- We have fantastic locations in San Francisco, Austin, and Boulder
- We offer generous compensation and benefits packages including medical, vision, and dental insurance and a flexible PTO policy
About our Engineering Team
- Our engineering team demonstrates and values technical thought leadership
- Qualia's Head of Design, Jack Lukic, is the creator of Semantic UI, one of the most popular open-source design frameworks. Qualia engineers learn this framework, and design patterns more generally, directly from the creator of the framework our front end is built on! Very few companies can say that
- As part of our focus on continual learning and development, a Qualia team member gives an educational talk on something they're interested in every Thursday to the entire engineering and product team. Topics range from Kolmogorov complexity theory to the definition of art, to models of existential risk
We believe diverse perspectives and backgrounds are critical to building great technology, and our goal is to cultivate an environment where people feel equally valued and respected. Qualia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, or veteran status.