At Qualia, we are fundamentally transforming the way real estate professionals, lenders, and homebuyers manage real estate transactions, one of the nation’s largest industries. We are bringing together everyone involved in the closing process onto one shared, secure platform -- basically, we’re making buying a home in America easier, safer, cheaper, and less painful by moving the process online! Qualia was founded in 2015 by Forbes 30 Under 30 Award recipients Nate Baker, Joel Gottsegen and Lucas Hansen. The company is backed by top investors including 8VC, Bienville Capital, Menlo Ventures and Tiger Global and currently processes 15% of all US real estate transactions. Qualia is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices in Austin, TX.
Our security team is responsible for ensuring the security of both our technology and our organization as a whole. The team is responsible for application threat modeling, active penetration testing, design and oversight of secure development practices, development of tooling for exploit prevention and intrusion detection, and educating the organization on security best practices. More concisely, the security team is responsible for making sure the “bad guys” don’t win.
We take security extremely seriously and do not drag our metaphorical feet on it. Yes, sometimes taking proper security measures can seem onerous or paranoid. But we’ve got our priorities straight.
As a security engineer you will work as a core member of the security team, with all of the responsibilities that entails. This role is an entry point into the security world, and while it doesn’t require that you’ve previously worked in an official security position, it does require a deep passion for security that you’ve curated on your own time and a broad understanding of technology ranging from front-end all the way down to assembly. You will need to learn quickly and deeply.
Your day to day
- Perform active penetration testing and threat modeling
- Educate the engineering team on security best practices
- Build tools for automatic exploit detection and intrusion detection
- Improve the security of our core existing and future architecture
The background that likely makes you a match
- BS/MS in Computer Science or in a relevant field of study
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Hands-on working experience with
- Back-end web development
- DevOps (e.g. AWS, Docker, monitoring tools, networking, etc.)
- Practical cryptography
- Advanced networking
- Proficiency in a variety of programming languages
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong people and collaboration skills
- Experience with large scale enterprise SaaS infrastructure and fintech is a strong plus
- Our flat company structure empowers engineers to make product decisions
- We have a collaborative culture where engineers mentor each other
- Our team members take time to eat together and share conversation at our daily catered lunches
- We have a fantastic location in a sunny office in downtown San Francisco, easily commutable from anywhere in the Bay Area by BART and MUNI
- We offer generous compensation and benefits packages including medical, vision, and dental insurance and a flexible PTO policy
About our engineering team
- Our engineering team demonstrates and values technical thought leadership.
- Qualia’s Head of Design, Jack Lukic, is the creator of Semantic UI, one of the most popular open-source design frameworks. Qualia engineers learn this framework, and design patterns more generally, directly from the creator of the framework our front end is built on! Very few companies can say that.
- As part of our focus on continual learning and development, a Qualia team member gives an educational talk on something they’re interested in every Thursday to the entire engineering and product team. Topics range from Kolmogorov complexity theory to the definition of art, to models of existential risk.